Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:50:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Dominic Marks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd really appreciate some opinions on the performance of some daemons. I'm
> trying to assess which is the best choice to offer both security and
> performance under FreeBSD 4.2. Apache seems like a pretty defacto choice for
> HTTP which I'm very happy with but I'm a little less sure what choose on
> others, in particular for ftp and mail servers.
>
> FTP Options:
> 1. proFTPd - Seems secure and has "enterprise" features

Highly configurable. Poor security record. I use it anyway since nothing
comes close to it for for features. Reasonable performance, somewhat more
expensive.

> 2. wu-Ftpd - Good security (bad History) excellent performance

Good performance. Miserable security record. I no longer consider it an
option.

> 3. ftpd - Dodgy security? Doesn't seem to be used very much

Very un-dodgy security, rock solid, takes load very well. If security is
your primary concern, use this one.

> Mail Options:
> 1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable

*spit* *curse*. I know this is not a helpful comment but it adequately
expresses my opinion of qmail. An unreliable royal PITA. I don't know what
people see in it.

> 2. Sendmail - Industry standard, works fine, big user base

Slow and the configuration is still written in pidgin emacs. But, as you
say, an industry standard. Reliable and well-documented.

> 3. Postfix - Secure, quite light on system resources, growing support

This is the smtpd of the future. Combines qmail speed and security with
sendmail reliability and familiar layout.

You don't mention your POP3 options. If you plan on running a common
mailbox setup, cucipop is your choice for maximum speed and efficiency. If
you need something more elaborate, I hate to say so but you might have to
use qpopper.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/