Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 05:04:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com (Brian J. McGovern)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cases (was: Constructive Criticism)

Brian J. McGovern wrote:

> >> I've been noticing, more an more, that FreeBSD has been/is being
> >> divided in to two camps. Basically, the "has", and the "has
> >> not". What I mean by this, is that there appears to be the core
> >> team, who kick butt making this stuff all work, then the people like
> >> me, who'd like to help out where they can, but seem to have an
> >> incredible time getting started.
> >
> >This is called the "learning curve".  There are two ways to climb it, for
> >climb it you must if you want to do anything.
> >
> >1) Spend lots of time trying, asking questions, exercising your intelligence
> >   and patience.
> >2) Give lots of money to someone else to have them force you through 1).
>
> I disagree with your two cases. As with any development decision, if I can't
> justify the cost of undertaking the certain project, I won't even begin it. In
> the case of #1, its a time/learning curve that is out of reach. By the time
> I figure it out for release x.y.z, its usually changed. Even so, digesting
> x amount of data in reasonable size time chunks (I usually get 20 minutes
> a couple of time a day here or there to work on these types of projects, maybe
> totalling an hour or so a day).

	20 minutes a day is exactly the situation that i face.  sometimes
	i am able to devote an entire weekend day to the project but
	that is very rare (wife, 4 kids, house, 2 cars, job all of
	these demand maintainence ;)  this is one reason that i took
	on the job of postmaster.

	find something that you need to do, then apply the extra effort
	to document that part of the system, or develope a program that
	you need and submit that to the project.

	everyone can contribute ;)
jmb