Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:21:42 -0700
From:      "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>
To:        "'stan'" <stanb@awod.com>, "'Free BSD Questions list'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FW: Retrieving web based mail?

> The company I worked for is in the process of being "merged".=20
> Lot's of fun :-(
>=20
> In any case one of the results of this is a huge problem for=20
> me in mail retrieval. I use a freeBSD laptop as my primary=20
> machine. I had been using fetchmail to retrieve my email, and=20
> passing the mail on to sendmail on the local machine.=20
>=20
> The new powers that be have decided to turn of the POP2=20
> server. There suggested alternative is a miserable web based=20
> mail access (Lotus Notes, I think, if it matters).=20
>=20
> Now, I was wondering if someone had cobbled together=20
> something (perl script), to essentially "screen scrape" email=20
> of w web interface? I am hoping to replace the fetchmail part=20
> of my setup with something.
>=20
> Suggestions?

If you're able to get a copy of the webmail pages, you may be able to
decipher the calls that log you in/present your new mail/etc. Then, just
build a perl script to connect to the web server and run the relevant
commands and parse the results as you see fit.

Lotus Notes also has a stand-alone client. Not sure what protocol it =
uses,
but maybe they have it enabled and you can find something that will
interface with it. Like maybe it uses IMAP or something. Lotus is =
"known"
for its abilty to replicate (techies, of course, would use the more =
accurate
term "synch"), so there is probably a way to interface with that...

Never know, if you come up w/ something good enough, you could submit it =
the ports and help the other poor people that are subjected to Notes =
use...

Brent