Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:28:38 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/print/acroread9 & ldd shared lib errors (fwd)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:29:49 +0200 "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
wrote:

Quick workaround: did you try acroread8? v9 is known to use syscalls
which are not implemented (or do I mix 9 with 10... sorry, I don't
take the time to lookup if we have 8 and 9 or 9 and 10).

More inline below.

> Hi,
> Hiroki Sato wrote:
> > "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com> wrote
> >
> > jh> Hi hrs@FreeBSD.org,
> > jh> Sorry, just realised I should have sent you a copy of this
> > jh>
> > jh> Forwarded from: "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
> > jh> http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/ ------- Forwarded Message
> > jh>
> > jh> To: freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
> > jh> Subject: /usr/ports/print/acroread9 & ldd shared lib errors
> > jh> From: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
> > jh> Organization: http://berklix.com BSD Unix Linux Consultancy,
> > jh> Munich Germany User-agent: EXMH on FreeBSD
> > jh> http://berklix.com/free/ X-URL: http://www.berklix.com
> > jh> In-reply-to: Your message "Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:41:06 +0200."
> > jh> 		<20120822164106.GE4301@localhost>
> > jh> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:35:43 +0200
> > jh> Sender: jhs@fire.js.berklix.net
> > jh>
> > jh> Hi freebsd-emulation@
> > jh> I am trying to get current version of /usr/ports/print/acroread9
> > jh> to work on FreeBSD8.2-RELEASE src/ based systems, both i386 &
> > jh> amd64 available here (also available: 8.3-REL & 9.0-REL amd64
> > jh> if necessary).
> > jh>
> > jh> I am seeing errors from ldd, shown on my
> > jh>  http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-adobe.html
> > jh>
> > jh> & request help/ suggestions.
> > jh> Once I have this working, I'd happily smarten the page & then
> > jh> send-p to help others.
> > jh>
> > jh> I have eg libBIB.so but not sure where to toss it ?
> > jh> I currently have 2 copies even, in compat & local.
> >
> >  I cannot understand what your problem is.  acroread9 did not run on
> >  your system?
>
> Right, It starts, but various errors, both to invoking command line
> & also to pop up windows, please see
>
>  http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu-adobe.html
>
> where I documented checking everything to see what was wrong, & found
> ldd shows some libs are still unresolved per URL above:
> 	i386
> 		libBIB.so => not found
> 	amd64
> 		libBIB.so: cannot open shared object file
> libs remained missing after
> 	(cd /usr/local/Adobe/Reader9;tar cf - .
> )|(cd /compat/linux/Adobe/Reader9 && tar xf - ) ldconfig
> -R /compat/linux/Adobe/Reader9/ENU/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/lib
> ldd /usr/local/Adobe/Reader9/ENU/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread

Do not use the FreeBSD ldd, it does not search in the correct places.
Do not use the FreeBSD ldconfig, it is not involved here.

You need to run the linux ldd/ldconfig (best from a linux shell).

> Please see my web page at text lines:
> 	because per quote from `man ldconfig`:
> 	Filenames must conform to the lib
>
> I or you in port could cludge those numeric failures, (rename, relink)
> but is it necessary to ?
> or should the Linux ABI/emulator work round it ?

No.

> I presume it's common for Linux to have .so.[0-9].[0.9] & FreeBSD to
> use just .so.[0-9] So I guess FreeBSD might already have some
> standard mapping mechanism for Linux lib names ?

IIRC libtool handles this.

> I dont know if acroread libs should be in /usr/local or /compat ?

They shall be where the port places them.

> I don't know if I should be setting more ldconfig vars in rc.conf ?

At least not for the FreeBSD ldconfig. It's the linux ldconfig which is
responsible here (or may the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I haven't checked
acroread9).

Bye,
Alexander.