Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 07:36:41 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        chas <panda@peace.com.my>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to use FBSD as a proxy between firewall and LAN. (or  shouldn't I ?)

I've done what you are looking for.  And I've written the steps down in my
Diary.  For details, see http://www.FreeBSDDiary.com/freebsd.  Most of the
steps you need to preform are there.  If you can't find what you need or
you find that detail is lacking, please let me know.

On 15 Sep 98, at 23:00, chas wrote:

> Sorry to bother you all but having read the archives and the ORA
> firewall book, I'm still pretty clueless.
>
> Trying to implement a firewall/network :
>
>                                 |<--> Server Farm A
>                                 |<--> Server Farm B
> [INet]<--> Router <--> Firewall |
>                                 |<--> FBSD Proxy <-- LAN
>                                 |<--> free
>
> The firewall is on a Sun box with a quad-NIC using commercial
> firewall software. The LAN has over 100 PCs.
>
> Does it make sense to use a FreeBSD box as I have shown
> above to act as a Proxy (and also router) between the LAN
> and the Firewall ? Does this network layout make sense or
> have I lost the plot ? (not that I really understood it in
> the first place).

Yep.  It makes sense, every to a newbie like me.

> To set up the FreeBSD proxy above, will it really require
> static routes for all the PCs between the LAN and the Firewall ?

As already mentioned, no.

> Most sincere thanks in advance from a networking neophyte,

Don't worry about that.  We were all neophytes.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited