Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 23:57:22 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@mail-in.net>
To:        dima@Chg.RU
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, demon@FreeBSD.ORG, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG, Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk
Subject:   Re: devel/gettext upgrade [patch]

On Tue, 29 May 2001 22:51:34 +0400, =3D?koi8-r?B?5M3J1NLJyiDzydfB3sXOy88=3D=
?=3D wrote:
> Hello Maxim,
> =

> Tuesday, May 29, 2001, 2:30:51 PM, you wrote:
> =

> MS> Hi folks,
> =

> MS> Since I did not receive any response from demon regarding my
> MS> comments on his patch I've picked up the ball and did the work
> MS> by myself. Attached please find resulting patch, please review
> MS> it and let me know what do you think.
> =

> I accepted your comments and wanted to give others a chance to
> send more opinions.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you. The only one reason why
I've stepped in is that I got one port that need newest gettext
to compile, so I tried to see what's up with it.

> But if you are in a hurry, feel free to commit
> your own patch.

Unfortunately at the moment plain upgrade will break number of
ports (several core GNOME components, WindowMaker etc.), so
we have to carefully weight all available choices before
proceeding further. IMO possible solutions are (but not limited to):

1. Drive-by update, i.e. simply update gettext and deal with
problems as they will appear. It is the easiest, but also a most
troublesome path, as we will be spammed with bug reports
and complains from users.

2. Repo-copy gettext into some new port, say gettext.new. In
this scenario we will have to hack gettext.new port to prevent
it from clashing with oldest gettext (the assumption is that both
ports have to co-exist on the same machine). Obviously this
will require to hack each port that requires gettext.new, therefore
as the number of such ports will grow maintenance expences
will be increasing too.

3. Deffer update until most popular packages (GNOME, KDE,
whatever) will adapt to the new gettext.

4. Put a new gettext at bento and fix ports that will have
problems with new gettext, after which commit gettext along
with mega-patch that fixes problematic ports.

Personally I'm in favour of (4), but not sure that I'll be able to do
all the work necessary. Perhaps someone has a better idea or
willing to do the actual work.

-Maxim