Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 18:39:35 -0500
From:      "S. Salman Ahmed" <ssahmed@pathcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 4.3R/4.4R on a Compaq DeskPro4000

    AM> I ran FreeBSD 4.2/4.3/4.4 on a Deskpro 4000 without much
    AM> problem, except that the BIOS wouldn't boot without keyboard,
    AM> and the hd's failed as soon as it fell back from DMA to PIO :(
    AM>
    AM> The tl0 NIC worked just fine for me. Is a 100mbit extension
    AM> module installed? Maybe removing it would help. I didn't try
    AM> with extension module since I didn't have one.

Hmmm, how do I check for the 100mbit extension module ?

    >>  This box has a Texas Instruments ThunderLAN based internal NIC:
    >>
    >> Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP, 10 T PCI UTP/Coax,
    >> 10/100 TX UTP
    AM> Which one is it? I think I had the second one.

Oh right! I think its the first one as the Linux-2.2.x driver detects
this NIC as:

   Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP Rev. 16

    AM> It appears that the kernel thinks the NIC works just fine, but
    AM> it doesn't transmit any data. Did you look with tcpdump for any
    AM> traffic sent by that NIC on your network from a different box?

No, I will try that later.

    AM> It could also be a mediatype/speed/duplex problem (please show
    AM> the output of ifconfig tl0, can be run from the emergency shell
    AM> thingie), and the speed that your hub/switch report (you should
    AM> be able to determine at least the speed from LED's).

ifconfig tl0 from vty4 reports:

tl0: flag=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
     inet6 fe80::208:c7ff:fec0:c86%t10 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
     ether 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86
     status: active

this is after DHCP config has failed (installer waited for a while at
"Scanning for DHCP servers" and eventually prompted for static net
configuration of tl0).

The switch reports 10/100 full-duplex connectivity when the cable from
the Deskpro4000 is plugged into it. BTW, only the yellow LED lights up
on the NIC.

    AM> Does the LED on your hub/switch for that port go on when you
    AM> plug the cable in?

Yes it does.

BTW, I am unable to run ping from the emergency shell on vty4. If I
could run ping, I would at least check to see if I could ping:

  - my internal net gateway (192.168.1.1)
  - @Home's gateway
  - the @Home nameservers that I am using

Thanks Alson.

PS : How do I get into the Deskpro4000's BIOS settings ? When I boot the
box, all I see is "Press F12 for Network Service Boot" in the bottom
right hand corner.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com