Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 14:35:32 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup and ports-update

Martin Schweizer wrote:

> Hello Kent
>
> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:36:02PM -0700 Kent Stewart wrote:
>
>>Martin Schweizer wrote:
>>
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I create the following supfiles:
>>>
>>>*default tag=.
>>>*default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
>>>*default prefix=/usr/ports
>>>*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
>>>*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>>>ports-all
>>>
>>>or
>>>
>>>*default tag=.
>>>*default host=cvsup2.de.freebsd.org
>>>*default prefix=/usr/ports
>>>*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
>>>*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>>>ports-x11
>>>
>>>Now I start cvsup. I see my cvsup is loading down all the above stuff but after
>>> cvsup there are no changes made in /usr/ports/ or in /usr/ports/x11. If I
>>>change to *default prefix=/usr/home/my_username he creates the newest ports
>>>directories correct with the newest stuff in it. What is going wrong?
>>>

>>Nothing, you don't understand what cvsup is doing.
>>
> Yes. Now I'm confuse!
>

>>The ports are a
>>data structure that gets updated by cvsup. You have to cvsup and then
>>cd into the proper directory to make use of the new data. Then, can do
>>a make and make install to actually update the port. If you already
>>have it installed, you will have to delete the previous version. This
>>is a simplistic view and most ports have a dependancy list that must
>>be maintained at the same time. For example, if you update ports-x11,
>>nothing that uses it will be updated to use the new version. You
>>really have to cvsup ports-all. When you finish cvsuping, you have to
>>rebuilt /usr/ports/INDEX*
>>

> I search a lot in the FreeBSD books and on John Polstra's site but I don't
> know what I have to do. Ok, let me say I do first cvsup with src-all (what I
> did realy before) and my goal is keep update the ports directory. What is
> "rebuilt /usr/ports/INDEX*" ? If I start "make index" in the ports directory
> after sometimes an error occurs.

When you cvsup src-all, you get the OS and have a different tag. There
are examples of working supfiles in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. You can
combine them but you have to pay close attention to the tag entries. A
tag=. will get you freebsd-current and that is the only useful tag for
docs and ports.

I get the error messages but I have portupgrade installed and have
added "portsdb -uU" to the script is use to do my port cvsup. It
remakes both INDEX files everytime I cvsup.

> Sorry, but I'm realy confuse... :-(

Zack caught a major error. You can change the locations but then you
have to offset where you look for a port. You need something like

#*default host=cvsup7.freebsd.org
*default host=ruby
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr