Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2010 13:19:10 -0400
From:      Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, daniel.bilik@neosystem.cz
Subject:   Re: Fw: Deignoring ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel29

> Hi.
>
> Ping timeout from miwi@, so I'm forwarding here. Should there be any
> disscussion regarding this, please keep me in Cc as I'm not subscribed to
> the list. Thanks.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 01:56:01 +0200
> From: Daniel Bilik <daniel.bilik at neosystem.cz>
> To: miwi at freebsd.org
> Subject: Deignoring ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel29
>

> Hi.
>
> You seem to be the last one who made changes to
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel29, so I'm writing to you. If you are not the
> right person or you are short of time, you may want to forward to someone
> else (or maybe to freebsd-x11@, but I'm not subscribed to that list). And
> sorry to bother if this was already disscussed and is being worked on.
> Anyway this is the story...
>
> In recent days I've been struggling with miserable state of new Intel
> graphics on FreeBSD (Pineview in my case). Using our "stable" (or better
> stalled) version of the driver makes Xorg to hang during startup. With
> (deIGNOREd) intel29, the Xorg works (without DRI), but it consumes
> unreasonable amount of CPU... On switching to another workspace there is
> several-seconds hang while Xorg re-draws app's windows there. It makes the
> environment almost unusable if you are switching apps often. Sad and
> annoying at the same time. :-/
>
> After almost whole day of torturing Google, I've hit some notes about
> so-called "legacy driver". It turned out that at the end of August, Chris
> Wilson of Intel released his fork of the driver, based on 2.9 but GEM-free
> and UMS. See this post:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/intel-gfx@lists.freedesktop.org/msg01309.html
>
> I've downloaded the code from here...
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/xf86-video-intel/commit/?h=legacy
>
> ... and compiled it in place of x11-driver/xf86-video-intel29. XvMC is
> disabled in this legacy driver but DRI seems to be working... somewhat.
> It crashes Xorg after a while, but it may be due to my unusual setup
> (large --fb with --panning). I don't need DRI, so I just disabled it, and
> I've been happily using this legacy thing for several days now.
>
> Maybe it's worth replacing xf86-video-intel29 with this version of the
> driver and de-ignoring it. It won't break anything for users of
> xf86-video-intel while giving a functional alternative to those of us
> running newer Intel graphics.
>
> Hope this helps (you or anybody else).
>
> --
> 						Daniel Bilik
> 						neosystem.cz

Daniel,

I'm interested in trying this out here. Did you have to do any fiddling
with the source to get it to compile? I've downloaded it via the link
you provided, and ./autogen.sh fails when I try to generate the
configure scripts:

./autogen.sh
autoreconf-2.67: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf-2.67: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf-2.67: running: aclocal
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libfame.m4:6: warning: underquoted definition
of AM_PATH_LIBFAME
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libfame.m4:6:   run info '(automake)Extending
aclocal'
/usr/local/share/aclocal/libfame.m4:6:   or see
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.ac:40: error: xorg-macros version 1.8 or higher is required
but 1.6.0 found
/usr/local/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:39: XORG_MACROS_VERSION is
expanded from...
configure.ac:40: the top level
autom4te-2.67: /usr/local/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal-1.10: /usr/local/bin/autom4te-2.67 failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf-2.67: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

The latest xorg-macros in ports is 1.8, so figured I'd ask before
spending a lot of time on this :)

If you have your original distfile for this legacy source, that would
work as well.

- --
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software