Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:40:44 +0800
From:      Feisal Umar <afu@webcraft99.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   unable to compile cyrus - CRYPT error?

Hi.

Am not sure wether to direct this to freebsd-questions or -ports.
Anyways, I got the following error message on compiling Cyrus from the
ports on a 4.2BETA. I would appreciate any help or pointers with regards to
ther matter.

Thanks in advance

---------------

configure:3848: checking for crypt
configure:3876: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/lib
-R/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib  conftest.c -lcom_err -lfl   1>&5
/tmp/ccN51203.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccN51203.o(.text+0x7): undefined reference to `crypt'
configure: failed program was:
#line 3853 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
     which can conflict with char crypt(); below.  */
#include <assert.h>
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char crypt();

int main() {

/* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
#if defined (__stub_crypt) || defined (__stub___crypt)
choke me
#else
crypt();
#endif

; return 0; }
configure:3894: checking for crypt in -lcrypt
configure:3913: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/lib
-R/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib  conftest.c -lcrypt  -lcom_err
-lfl   1>&5
configure:3944: checking for des_ecb_encrypt in -ldes
configure:3963: cc -o conftest -O -pipe -I/usr/local/include  -L/usr/lib
-R/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib  conftest.c -ldes  -lcrypt
-lcom_err -lfl   1>&5
/usr/lib/libdes.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
configure: failed program was:
#line 3952 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char des_ecb_encrypt();

int main() {
des_ecb_encrypt()
; return 0; }
(end of "config.log")
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/cyrus.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/cyrus.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/cyrus.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/cyrus.

Feisal Umar
Webcraft Sdn Bhd - http://www.webcraft99.com

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. -- H. L. Mencken