Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:26:24 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-PRE: Jumping box. Worse performance

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 02:08:00AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:57:21PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> >  =20
> >> Compiling FreeBSD's world with make -j2 was never a problem while play=
ing sound or doing other work on screen - but this seems to be a big proble=
m now, even when SCHED_4BSD is used!

> >> While compiling world mouse stops and jumps, sound gets distorted. I r=
ecognise thsi behaviour also when box is doing minor HD access: mouse point=
er stops, keyboard input gets stuck, sound stops playing, window operations=
 (opening/closing) seems to freeze. This got even worse whithin the last tw=
o weeks (date when it starts getting this worse unknown).
> >> This phenomenon occurs on both i386 and amd64 but is much worse on amd=
64. On AMD64 very short and small HD activities seems to trigger this 'jump=
ing' and stopping.

> >> Both boxes are singel core CPUs, AMD64 is a Athlon 3500+, i386 is a HT=
T enabled P4 at 3.0 GHz.

> >> I do not get any error or system fault, simply this jumping and freezi=
ng.

> >> On both systems PREEMPTION is enabled in the kernel, but the problem a=
lso occurs without this option.

> >> Any ideas, suggestion, maybe explanations?
> >>    =20
> >
> > Check for interrupt storms (vmstat -i).
> >
> > Kris
> >  =20
> Already already checked, nothing suspicious ...

Use top -S to check what is using the CPU.

Kris

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--