Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:45:01 +0100
From:      Phil Brennan <phil.brennan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lots VLANs caouses ngctl to fail

On 4/13/05, Nikolay Arhangelskiy <Stirch@mxc.ru> wrote:
> Hello freebsd-net,
>=20
>   I need to operate with hundreds VLANs on FreeBSD box (5.3).
>   Using small script I create 250 VLANs, exec "ngctl list" - no
>   problem, ngctl lists all 250 VLANs.
>   After creating another 250 VLANs ngctl start to fail with message:
>=20
>     ngctl: send msg: No buffer space available
>=20
>   Is there are any limitations in ngctl on objects count?
>   Or any kernel side limitations?
>=20
> --
> Best regards,
>  Nikolay                          mailto:Stirch@mxc.ru
>=20
>=20
I don't have a clue about ngctl, but still, it sounds like you are
running out of network buffers.
Have a look at the output of netstat -m, see if there is a problem
with the usage of mbuf cluster usage.
You might need to add something like
 OPTIONS NMBCLUSTERS 65536
to your kernel config and rebuild + reinstall the kernel.
Or, I could be completely wrong, if so I apologise in advance :)
Regards,

Philip Brennan