Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:43:36 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

Quoting Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>:

[..]
> If you need average security agains disk-crashes, you can keep your
> data in vinum-volumes and back up the root-partition on a regular
> basis e.g. with dd. If you really need more security, go and
> buy a SCSI-SCSI raid-controller, which is seen as one or more
> single disks, independent of its real disks and configuration.
> You save yourself lots of trouble.

You're almost right. I used the similar solution when I used vinum raid-5.
The only "but" is that dd(1) cannot be used. I got away with newfs,dump,restore.
Also, the system disk is "dumb", it can be copied once and saved offline.
However, if the "almost-hot" backup is needed, nightly mirror is a feasible
solution.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]