Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:53:05 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <devnull@NUXI.com>
Cc:        bts@babbleon.org, Diane Bruce <db@db.net>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

On Mar 06, at 07:17 PM, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:19:14AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> >
> > They should have left well enough alone, and advocated languages that
> > were/are OOPL by concept as well as design.
>
> *sigh*  IF you say that then you really aren't thinking at at all.
> Why isn't Eiffel (one of those pure OOL's) used more?  BECAUSE IT ISN'T
> C.  Got it?  No one is willing to learn a new language.  How much
> bitching do we get because CVSup is written in Modula-3?  It is a
> type-safer language than C.  It has some OO-like constructs and its
> threading model and GUI lib allow JDP to quickly create a really nice
> application.  But all the benefits of Modula-3 are lost on the "I only do
> C" crowd that is demanding CVSup be rewritten.

First, you're ascribing me to a group I don't belong. While I don't know
Eiffel, or Lisp, or Modula, Snobol, etc., I don't demean them, nor do I
bitch about such-and-such being written with them (well, not publicly,
anyway). Many's the time I've wanted to modify a program written in a
language I didn't/don't know, and learned enough of it to re-write it in
a language I do know, just to do the changes I wanted.

Second, you're not addressing my comments at all. I maintain that the
creators of C++ should have either created yet another OOPL, or advocated
any of the existing ones. Taking a procedural language, particularly one
as accepted and popular as C, and wreaking havoc on it (IMHO) to produce
another, was a gross mis-step.

> Thus to repeat -- C++ was built on C SO IT WOULD BE ACCEPTED.

By whom? C programmers?

If you're even half-right, their logic was flawed - the general concensus
that I'm aware of is that most C folk think little of C++. I won't address
the opinions of PHBs who didn't get much further than flow-charts, or the
C++ folk who hadn't experience with C when they learned C++, if either of
those groups are the people you're writing of.

> > I'll go away now.
>
> thank you.

Snideness doesn't get you anything but.

Dave