Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:14:12 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NO_TLS flag for public headers

Hi,

The xlocale changes in libc mean that a lot of things that were =
previously global state are now per-thread.  This includes some things =
that were used in ctype.h and are inlined.  We're now losing the benefit =
of inlining them because we now have to call into libc to get the =
per-thread values.  I'd like to use TLS for caching these things, but we =
currently have no equivalent of the NO_TLS flag for public headers.  I'd =
like to have a __NO_TLS that can be set in cdefs.h for architectures =
that don't have TLS support.

Any comments?  Objections?  Anyone want to propose a better place for it =
(or, indeed, add it, since I'm not entirely sure which architectures do =
lack TLS support...)

David=