Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:43:46 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic in 2.2.2R with ppp

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > Seriously, as you already suspect, it can't really be ppp that's
> > causing the problem.  I'd suspect a memory problem.  Is the
> > instruction pointer the same each time ?  If so, the only way to
> > diagnose this is to rebuild your kernel with symbols (-g), wait for
> > it to crash again, and try to find out where the instruction pointer
> > is pointing.
>
> Whihc of these should I be looking at?  Using `nm /kernel | grep xxx', the
> fault virtual addr doesn't point to anything but the instruction pointer
> is in the middle of the msdosfs code.

Hmm. That'd be because it's a custom kernel (with only 8Mb, one has to
take out as much as possible..). However, using the:
	`nm /kernel | grep xxxx'
technique (I didn't know you could do that!) on the instruction pointer to
6 significant characters, the sorted output is:

	f013d050 t _rn_walktree_from
	f013d15c t _rn_walktree
	f013d1f4 T _rn_inithead
	f013d308 T _rn_init
	f013d3e0 F raw_cb.o
	f013d3e0 T _raw_attach
	f013d44c T _raw_detach
	f013d48c T _raw_disconnect
	f013d4b0 F raw_usrreq.o
	f013d4b0 T _raw_init
	f013d4cc T _raw_input
	f013d624 T _raw_ctlinput
	f013d634 T _raw_usrreq
	f013d820 F route.o
	f013d820 t _rtable_init
	f013d860 T _route_init
	f013d874 T _rtalloc
	f013d8a4 T _rtalloc_ign
	f013d8d4 T _rtalloc1
	f013da08 T _rtfree
	f013daf8 T _ifafree
	f013db28 T _rtredirect
	f013dca0 T _rtioctl
	f013dcb4 T _ifa_ifwithroute
	f013dd80 T _rtrequest

However, as Brian has pointed out, it may be a memory problem. I'll
have to wait for the next crash (a 2 month wait?) to see whether the
results are of any significance...

--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>   | "Vini, vidi, velcro...