Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:48:18 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports INDEX browser

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > 	ftp://gsoft.com.au/pub/pib.tcl.gz
>
> Hey, I just looked at this and it's slicker than two eels screwing in
> a bucket of snot!  Good job!

The response from the peanut gallery : "euww!" 8)

> However, it seems to have a weird idea of where the distfiles come
> from since once I removed all the ones it declared stale and ran it
> again, it still printed the same list.

"ran it again" as in exited and restarted, or just selected "stale"
from the menu?  There's code in there to cache the list of distfiles
that should probably be ripped out; I was under the misapprehension
that I could maintain internal state consistent with external state,
and collecting the list of distfiles takes much less time than I
thought it would.

> It also seems to misidentify stale tarballs that live in
> subdirectories of distfiles/ and flattens them all out.

That's because I'm using the 'md5' files to get the names of all
possible distfiles from each port, but there's no way of determining
the value of DIST_SUBDIR from this file, so the logic goes like this :

	set match [array names distfiles $md5_name];
	if {$match == ""} {
		set match [array names distfiles \*/$md5_name];
	}

ie. if it doesn't exist in the base distfiles directory, I'll accept
it living in _any_ subdirectory.  IMHO that's Bad, but there's no
policy (yet) that gives me anything better to go on.

On reflection, I think the best possible policy would be to insist
that distfiles should either be in the base directory, or a directory
that matches the directory name the port is in.  Eg. the port in
ports/foo/bar would have distfiles in ports/distfiles _or_ in
ports/distfiles/bar.

I'm not sure if this is potentially icky though; I'm only thinking
about it from my point of view.  The altenative seems to be to put the
DIST_SUBDIR value in the md5 file (or somewhere else easy to get),
which is an annoying duplication of information.