Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:21:50 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Arun Welch <welch@anzus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multiple devices on the same IRQ?

Arun Welch stated:
: I'm trying to get pccards working on my Dell Inspiron 5000, and I'm a tad
: confused. It appears that the PCIC controller and the ATI display controller
: both use IRQ 11. The LT winmodem and the ESS sound card both use IRQ 5 too,
: but since there aren't any drivers for them that's OK if they don't work
: :-). What's the procedure for resolving this?
:
Arun-

Is your Inspiron basically set up?  I would stongly recommend doing
the following:

1) change the pcic entry in you kernel to

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

this will force the pcic into polling mode and free up irq 10.

2) Chances are irq 3 is free and clear.

3) If you don't use your onboard serial port, you can disable it in
   the bios and gain irq 4

4) On some machines, irq 9 is free.  Watch out for USB controllers
   or video cards (in your case no video to worry about).

5) dmesg | grep irq

ought to give you some clues as to what is free,  so will the
Windows device manager (if you still have windows).

6) I also recommend using a pared down pccard.conf file with only
   the cards that you are going to use (helps with debugging) and
   call it /etc/pccard.conf

   a) add

   pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"

   to /etc/rc.conf

   b) make sure that the irq entry has _only_ free irqs

   note: if you have an old version of pccard.conf, neither 8 nor
         13 is free

   you shouldn't have 5 or 11 in there either.

7) Do you plan on using a pccard modem?  If so, change all of the

   device sioN at blah blah

   to just one single

   device sio

   If you plan on using the onboard serial port, simply add

   options PNPBIOS

   and your serial port will be automagically picked up as long as
   it is enabled in the bios.

Hope this helps,

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU