Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:25:39 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELNOTES suggestion

--==_Exmh_-1212838700P

If memory serves me right, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 11:59:14AM -0400, Brad Laue wrote:
> > Had an idea about RELNOTES, and being able to track the changes to it;
> > is it a possibility to add date tags to each 'new entry', so that features
> > can be pinned down to a specific date?
>
> This, sort of, assumes that the person making a change to the source code
> also updates the relnotes. This is almost never the case. Of course the
> relnotes maintainers could try to figure it out themselves but that is
> the kind of work people generally run away from screaming.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Luckily, I can't run very far within the confines of my study.

Basically, Wilko's right.  Some of the release notes entries don't have
well-defined "effective dates" (imp's pcic changes come to mind).  Even
for those that are, it's way more work that I personally am willing to
put into this.

Personally, I think that anybody who cares this much about the specific
time a change was made should be subscribed to cvs-committers@.  The CVS
messages will give all the details as to when a particular change was
made.  In fact it's the primary source I have for most of the release
notes.  If you're not willing to put up with Yet Another Mailing List
Subscription (TM), you can always use the cvs-committers@ archives.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1212838700P

--==_Exmh_-1212838700P--