Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/3996: nmh needs dependecy on autoconfig to work.

The following reply was made to PR ports/3996; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To: imp@village.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 20:59:17 -0700

 imp@village.org wrote:

 > nmh uses autoheader, which is part of autoconfig, which isn't
 > installed by default

 Is that dependency normal for packages that use the GNU autoconf? It only
 really needs 'autoheader' if you modify some file that is input to autoconf.
 Unfortunately the 'patch' process does that.  I assume you try to do a 'make'
 of the port and the patches happened fast enough to give the patched input
 files the same update time as the output files, thus triggering the running of
 'autoheader', right?

 Is there a reasonable solution?  I don't know if depending on autoconf is
 quite right (as that would mean that every autoconf'd package should depend on
 autoconf and autoconf is really for package developers, not package build or
 install).  Or maybe I should just patch that rule out of the Makefile
 instead?

 Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                          1700 Westlake Ave N #500
 scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
 Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org