Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:51:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sos@sos.freebsd.dk (Søren Schmidt)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, rickl@ic.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible sc0 problem

> > I'd be happy to send you my /etc/keymap file...  And it actually does
> > the right thing (sets the high bit rather than prepending escape).
>
> That is not the right thing!! When do you 7bit handicapped yankies
> get it that almost evrybody else on this globe use 8bit chars !

When someone from a country without an NRCS weighs in, I suppose... 8-).

Seriously, Emacs is showing its age here; the correct fix is to fix
Emacs to use a key-down/key-up mechanism if it wants to know the state
of shift keys like "left shift", "right shift", "ctrl", "left alt",
and "right alt", respectively.

Alternately, use an X version of it, which is already interfaced this
way  Or use an editor that isn't expecting to toggle the high bit of
a 7 bit ASCII character set to promiscuously encode key state for a
key that never made it to the big time anywhere but the MIT media lab
and SAIL.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---