Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:03:55 -0800
From:      "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Subject:   RE: isp connection woes

(snip)

> I have ATTBI for an isp, someone told me that the IP TTL is
> expiring on the way to the server. Their network design
> supports no more than 16 hops on the way to a DHCP server,
> but increasing the (hard-coded) TTL (at line 159 in
> /usr/src/contrib/isc-dhcp/common/packet.c) can help fix the
> problem.
99.9% of users are no more than two hops from the DHCP server.
16 hops seems way too high. But perhaps your isp doesnt agree
with my observations.

> I would like to manually try to connect to my isp
> before i try changing the code for DHCP.
> I got my network info from my lrp operating system. I would like
> to switch that to bsd.
> can i use traceroute to find out the number of hops i am
> currently taking to get
> to my isp's dhcp server?
Yes, you can.
The lease information should be in /var/db/dhclient.leases .

> manual configuration
> --------------------
> ifconfig_rl0="inet 66.41.139.87 netmask 255.255.248.0"    #66.41.139.87/21
> ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.1.254 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> default_router="66.41.136.1 rl0"
> default_router="192.168.1.254 rl1"
If this info is in your rc.conf file, you will want to
comment out the second default router (rl1). Ethernet
hosts dont need additional routes to be set up to
communicate with other hosts on the same chunk of your
ethernet.

> domain the-matrix.net
> nameserver 63.240.76.19
> nameserver 204.127.198.19
Are you serving out a domain called the-matrix.net?
Are you running your own DNS server?

> is there anything else i need to manually connect to my isp?
That depends on how they want to authenticate thier users. If
they are using PPPoE then yes. If not, then it should work fine
now. I think removing the second instance of default_router from
your rc.conf file will fix the communication issues.

> thanks,
Thats what we are here for.