Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 21:25:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS bootstrap?

> > > This is a tiny bit off-topic for the list, but I thought I'd throw it out
> > > there...
> > >
> > > My embedded system supports BIOS extension and includes it's own local
> > > Flash memory to do so. Basically what I'd like to do is build some sort of
> > > (EE)ROM bootstrap to load my custom FreeBSD operating system. HOWEVER...
> > >
> > > All input/output must be done via COM1. I've never done much low level PC
> > > programming...has anyone attempted something like this? In an ideal world,
> > > I'd also be looking to front-end the BIOS setup screen over COM1.
> > >
> > > And, no, I can't just get a BIOS kit and re-write the BIOS :-p
> >
> > The FreeBSD bootstrap already supports serial console I/O, and FreeBSD
> > has always supported serial consoles.  You can tweak the bootblock
> > build to always use com1 for I/O, and then set the appropriate flags in
> > the kernel to use com1 as the serial console.
>
> Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear...
>
> I'm talking about system bootstrap stuff *before* the FreeBSD
> bootstrap...i.e. showing some sort of POST output, allowing the user to
> possibly tweak some BIOS settings, etc. all over a console.

You would have to hijack the video BIOS (steal its vectors, presuming
the system BIOS calls it 'legally') and shadow the screen using a
nominated terminal emulation.  Given you can write BIOS extensions,
that's not impossible, but it is quite a lot of work, and if you're not
familiar with low-level PC bitbashing you have quite a lot to learn.
(That's not intended to discourage you - just some perspective.)