Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 12:17:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, julian@whistle.com, abial@nask.pl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's MFS panic.. (Re: Panic with DEVFS)

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I would recommend reimplementing this with a "Memory device" driver,
> and putting your standard FS on the thing, instead.  At best, you
> would end up with unallocated pages (a "sparse" device), and at worst,
> the overhead can't be more than mfs->specfs->strategy->mfs->specfs->mfs.

I think NetBSD has a memory disk device.

I still think fronting anonymous memory is pretty cool though, but I'd
like to see it done with data structures that make make sense for memory
rather than using code from ufs.  It would be much easier to implement a
system that can grow and shrink its usage of resources than the RAM disk
approach because it competes for pages like any other process.

Having both of the above would be ok too.  :-)

Regards,

Mike