Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:42:30 -0500
From:      Jon Passki <jon@passki.us>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sam Wun <swun2010@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Can't login Jailed system

(Un-CC'd freebsd-net@)

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Bjoern A.
Zeeb<bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Sam Wun wrote:
>
>> After I login 192.168.1.242, I ended up logged in twp1 which is my host
>> system.
>> Now I am stuck. I don't know how I logged in the jailed system a month
>> ago.
>>
>> Can anyone shred some lights on me?
>
> Try to jexec 5 /bin/sh (5 is the jailID from the jls output) =A0and check
> with ps if sshd is running inside the jail, and check the usual things
> are up and there.

Sam, what Bjoern is alluding to is that SSH in the main system is
probably running on all IP addresses on port 22/TCP. =A0The jail(8) man
page has a section called "Setting up the Host Environment" which you
might want to review again.  For SSH, check out /etc/ssh/sshd_config
and look for "ListenAddress".  If it is setup for the default setting
of "#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0", then uncomment it and change that line in
your main system to be the main IP address.  Restart sshd
(/etc/rc.d/sshd restart).  You will probably have to restart your
jail's sshd instances since they probably tried to bind to their IP
address on 22/TCP unsuccessfully.  (Or, just restart all of your jails
if it's not a big concern, /etc/rc.d/jail restart.)

Hope that helps,

Jon