Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with Sendmail/DNS

I seem to be banging my head against the wall trying to solve a problem
and I'm hoping somebody can give me a push in the right direction.

My domain is fairly simple and handles mail straightforwardly. The FBSD
system is Rigel.orionsys.com and I run a BBS on a machine named
bbs.orionsys.com (which responds to orionsys.com as well). The BBS can
send and receive email directly, as can the FBSD machine. The BBS's MX
records currently look like:

	orionsys.com.	IN	MX	10 orionsys.com.
			IN	MX	20 other.host.com.
			IN	MX	30 another.host.com.

The problem is that the BBS software is completely fixed and we're getting
increasing complaints about spam, so what I'd like to do is to have all
email going to the BBS users to be delivered to Rigel (the Unix machine),
passed thru anti-spam filters and then forwarded to the BBS. The BBS would
still send email directly. To accomplish this, I tried to test the
concept with another machine in the domain, named Altair:

	rigel.orionsys.com.	IN	MX	10 rigel...orionsys.com.
	altair.orionsys.com	IN	MX	10 rigel.orionsys.com.

This produced a DSN error with sendmail "MX list for altair loops back to
rigel" for mail sent to user@altair.orionsys.com. The examples in the
O'Reilly 'DNS and Bind' book don't seem to deal directly with the setup
I'm trying to do and the Sendmail book doesn't specifically over this
exact error (although I'm assuming it is a looping reference). Is this
idea doomed, or am I just not seeing the right way to configure it?

-Dave