Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:17:14 +0100
From:      Joel Wilsson <siigron@sii.unixsweden.net>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Be nice to -CURRENT ( "1 week Feature Slush" )

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 08:59:53AM -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> >    As discussed at BSDCon, the release engineers are committed to
> > releasing a relatively stable snapshot of FreeBSD -CURRENT on or
> > around April 1, 2002.  Obviously, a lot of major components are still
> > in progress, but a great deal of work has already been accomplished,
> > and could benefit from the additional exposure that a polished
> > snapshot with full package set and documentation will provide.
> >
> I don't know if this is something worth making it the snapshot, but
> currently kde doesn't work due to binuntils update.  It may work now
> after the most recent binutils update, but we have to recompile kde
> to see that I believe, andkdelibs cannot be compiled
> which builds kde-config which the rest of the kde meta-ports try to
> run.

It works if you don't use objprelink, and then change a bunch of files
to include arpa/inet.h
I spent some time fixing this yesterday...
Here are my notes:

#include <arpa/inet.h> in

kdelibs-2.2.2:
kdecore/kextsock.cpp
kio/ftp/ftp.cc
kio/tcpslavebase.cpp
arts/mcop/tcpconnection.cc

qt2.3.1:
src/kernel/qfont_x11.cpp
src/kernel/qpainter_x11.cpp
src/network/qdns.cpp
src/network/qsocketdevice_unix.cpp
also "uic" gets a weird dependency on "libclms.so_edata", so you need to run
ln -s /usr/local/lib/liblcms.so.1 /usr/local/lib/liblcms.so_edata && ldconfig -R

kdenetwork-2.2.2:
kit/kitsocket.cpp
kmail/kmacctimap.cpp
kmail/kmacctexppop.cpp
kmail/accountdialog.cpp
ktalkd/ktalkd/machines/forwmach.cpp
ktalkd/ktalkd/machines/talkconn.cpp
ktalkd/ktalkd/print.cpp
ktalkd/ktalkd/process.cpp
ktalkd/ktalkd/table.cpp

to make kdemultimedia-2.2.2 compile, don't use the FreeBSD-specific byteswapping
functions defined in kmidi/config.h, instead use the generic ones (which should
have been used in the first place anyway, imo)
remove the "ifdef #FreeBSD"-blah near XCHG_(LONG|SHORT)

I installed all those ports using make NO_DEPENDS=yes install since
I'm too lazy to figure out where the objprelink dep is defined.

> I think that last sentence is a huge run on and I by no means am
> trying to complain, just wondering if anyone thinks its important to
> make it on this snapshot.

I agree... -CURRENT was fine until the new binutils came into the tree.
First the libpng, then the KDE problems. I think we should wait a while
and fix ports using ntohl and friends (since someone seem to have decided
that netinet/in.h shouldn't define it or something) and make KDE build
again before making a "developer preview", but that's just my opinion.

// Joel Wilsson