Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:43:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        david@allunix.com (David DeTinne)
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: was Competition now mail-lists

Please, folks,

Yes, doing this hoses people.

Yes, not doing this hoses people.

It's an ugly choice for the FreeBSD postmasters; they have no right
solution, but can merely choose the manner in which they want to be
abused.  "Death by drowning or death by burning?  Gee, let me
think..."

In this case, it's more correct to force users to find a reliable
email provider than to have tons of spam flowing down *@freebsd.org.
There is no good answer at the freebsd.org level; junk email is a
pervasive, Internet-wide problem.

This comes up every few months; can we please cut this argument off at
the knees before it turns into yet another endless blather that
results in nothing changing?

I'm sure if anyone has a working, practical solution for this problem,
the IETF and any number of email software maintainers would love to
hear from you.

==ml