Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:59:16 -0400
From:      Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Can anyone send me mcopy?

Ken McGlothlen quizically wrote:

> Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> | I ask someone, anyone, to simply send me mcopy. No one sends me mcopy.
> | Instead many people preach at me.
> |
> | What is wrong with this picture?
>
> Uh . . . Mark, this *isn't* a professional technical support facility
> with paid personnel.

I was not asking for that. I was just asking for mcopy, pure and simple.
On other lists I belong to, when someone asks for something that is not
illegal, some friendly fellow-listee sends it, without sermon and without
hesitation. It's the friendly thing to do. You've been super in the help
you've given me and I really, really appreciate it! So please read on.

> It's a mailing list of volunteers; as such, the
> say, a Microsoft Technical Support Representative ($230 per incident,
> last I checked).

Well, I've never needed to use M$ support -- wonder why? ;-)  (...but
don't take that wrong, and please, read on...)

> There's also a matter that people look at your request, and think, "Why
> does he need a DOS emulation tool when he really doesn't?  Perhaps he
> doesn't know about how to mount, format or write floppies on a
> Unix system.  I'll tell him how to do that.

Of course. In fact (of course)*2.

1 - Of course, if the (GallantWEB) system I was using at the time -- it's
history now! -- had an msdos file system driver, I *would* have mounted
it. But it didn't have an msdos file driver, but I knew that mcopy didn't
need to have the floppy mounted.

2 - Of course, the folks here try to be helpful. They are all very nice
folks. I have helped a couple of people off list, myself, regarding the
UDF CD-RW problem created by Linux, and I'm a newbie! But when a fellow
listee makes a simple request, why not simply do it? There's such a matter
as being too helpful, to the extent that one reads "stupid, lazy newbie"
into a simple request.

Suppose I'd asked for a technical article... say, about XML? Would you
assume that I couldn't find it because I hadn't tried to find it or
because I was simply lazy? Of course not. If you had it, you'd send me a
copy. So how is a request for mcopy any different? Well, it is different
if you assume that I don't have a foggy idea what I'm doing and need a
poke in the ribs. But that's just an assumption, isn't it?

Nuf said. I don't need mcopy any longer, but I sure could have used it at
the time.

Ciao, and peace. -- Mark
--
See my resume: http://home.earthlink.net/~filipak/resume/