Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:01:56 -0600
From:      "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        "Jamaal Sanford" <jamaal@sanfordonline.org>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Linksys LNE10TX v4.1, FreeBSD v3.2

   Yipeee..... oh, shoot.  Well, there's definitely some progress: using the
AMDtek driver code (if_al.c and if_alreg.h) got the kernel to recognize the
card.  I suspect there's a problem with it detecting the ethernet address,
though -- unless I've got the one card with all the bits set (which probably
runs counter to some standard, anyway :-) ).  Here's my ifconfig -a output:

al0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 ether ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
 media: 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>
 supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex>
100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex>

   dmesg, of course, shows the same ethernet address.
   I am able to to ping the localhost, successfully.  When I try to ping
another machine (hostname "secretariat"), I can watch the activity LED on my
hub flash, but all the packets get lost.  Interestingly, this causes
secretariat to show the following problem message on its console:

[current date & time] secretariat /kernel: arp: ether address is broadcast
for IP address 192.168.0.1!

   The actual date and time are shown (sans the brackets), as is the
exclamation mark.
   For now, I'll search for references to this problem and/or an update to
the al driver.  If anyone has any more suggestions, I'll appreciate hearing
them.
Thanks, again,
Bob