Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:48:09 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports that don't honor PREFIX?

I'm working on updating a port that depends on a bunch of X11 and Gnome
stuff.  It seems there are a bunch of ports that don't honor PREFIX.  In
addition there seem to be a number of ports that are improperly done,
because the detection of dependent ports fails.

For example, building x11/libX11 results in this:

===>  Installing for libXau-1.0.6
===>   libXau-1.0.6 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xproto.pc
- found
===>   libXau-1.0.6 depends on executable: pkgconf - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if x11/libXau already installed
===>   libXau-1.0.6 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of x11/libXau
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/libXau.
*** Error code 1

This should not be happening.

The Makefile doesn't even list a build dependency for libXau.

BUILD_DEPENDS+=
${LOCALBASE}/libdata/pkgconfig/xcb.pc:${PORTSDIR}/x11/libxcb \

${LOCALBASE}/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:${PORTSDIR}/devel/xorg-macros
RUN_DEPENDS+=   ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/pkgconfig/xcb.pc:${PORTSDIR}/x11/libxcb

XORG_CAT=       lib
USE_XORG=       bigreqsproto xau xcmiscproto xdmcp xextproto xtrans \
                kbproto:both inputproto xf86bigfontproto xproto:both

I suppose it's somehow being picked up by XORG_CAT= lib, but ports should
know when a dependency is already installed and not try to build it again,
right?

. if ${XORG_CAT} == "lib"
USE_GNOME+=     gnomehack pkgconfig
USE_LDCONFIG=   yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-malloc0returnsnull
. endif

So is this something wrong with the underlying make system?  Something
wrong with the xorg system?  Gnome?

Or is it me?

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst