Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:41:23 +0200
From:      "Thierry Lacoste" <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
To:        <delphij@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: openldap-server-2.3.24: default loglevel and /var/log/debug.log

When running slapd on a valilla FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE
/var/log/debug.log is rotating frequently.

It seems that the default loglevel is set to 256; correct?
Is this the default for openldap?
I've been grepping through the sources but was unable
to verify my hypothesis. How can I know the actual default loglevel?

Because slapd is logging through local4 and /etc/syslog.conf contains
*.=debug   /var/log/debug.log
the file is growing rapidly.

Are these defaults recommended for a production server?
If not, what are the recommendations concerning slapd loglevel
and/or syslog.conf configuration?

Regards,
Thierry.