Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:13:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        stephens@iclc.net (stephens)
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install questions...

> I have a copy of the Jan 94 release of FreeBSD 2.0 from Walnut
> Creek, and though I would lke to install it, I have a few questions that
> I would like to see if you can answer for me before I begin.
>
> 	1)  Can I install FreeBSD 2.0 and Windoze 95 on the same
> 	computer?

Yes.  Install Win95 first, since Win95 likes to replace the master boot
record (which will be the boot manager that lets you pick which OS to
run, after you install BSD) so it can change the message "Booting MS-DOS"
to "Booting Windows" (ie: a stupid cosmetic change).

If you install BSD onto a second drive, *don't* install the boot manager
from the BSD disk.  Instead, use the OSBS.EXE from the CDROM to install
from a "reboot to DOS prompt" in Win95.

> 	2)  How much hard drive space do I need to run the system?  Can
> 	I just use 500 megs, or will the system be downgraded too much,
> 	and if I can, what would you suggest for values to set the /root
> 	and other filesystems at?

This is all in the README's on the CDROM.  500M is enough if you don't
plan to load everything you could load.

> 	3)  Are there any FAQs out that answer questions on FreeBSD, and
> 	if so where?

On the CDROM, and at WWW.FreeBSD.ORG.

> 	4)  Can I get updates/programs on the internet for it?

Yes.  The current release is 2.1R, and there are snaps for the current
developement tree (2.2-current).  The snaps can run Linux QUAKE (and
other ELF binaries), if that's a bonus for you.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.