Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 03:23:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNU ghostscript with GIF support ?

 * Would it be acceptable to "degrade" the GNU ghostscript a bit more so
 * that we have a version that supports GIFs?
 * Due to license restrictions, ghostscript versions released during, or
 * after, 1995 don't have (legally) GIF support. We could still use the new
 * fonts with the older version and it would make a good printer server.

We would have to assume the ghostscript authors have removed the
support for good reason (at least for them).  I don't think that it is
appropriate for us, as the FreeBSD Project, to encourage our users to
use the versions that they deem to include proprietary software.

Satoshi