Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 15:05:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak

At 2:45 PM +0930 5/23/04, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>There is valgrind..
>http://www.rabson.org/#valgrind
>
>I thought it was in ports but I can't see it.

Note the separate message:

   Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:46:32 +0200
   From: Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
   To: Cole <cole@opteqint.net>
   Cc: ports@freebsd.org
   Cc: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
   Subject: Looking for a ports committer for valgrind (Re: Memory Leak)

   > I just wanted to know what programs any of you have used to
   > track down a memory leak in your programs?

   this reminds me of something... :-/

   I created a port for Doug Rabson's FreeBSD port[1] of valgrind [2].
   He considered my work ready for the ports tree, but he also said
   that that he doesn't do any ports commits these days.

   So, could somebody please have a look at the ports (there is a
   stable and a development version of valgrind) to be found at [3]?
   If they get committed, PR ports/65585 can be closed as well (also
   approved by Doug).

   It's a pity that I forgot that excellent memory debugging tool,
   most notably because all the work has already been done, and the
   ports were only rotting around. :-(

   Cole, in order two answer your question at least a little bit:
   valgrind is great at detecting memory leaks and much more,
   e.g. out-of-bound array access, ...

   Simon

   [1] http://www.rabson.org/#valgrind
   [2] http://valgrind.kde.org/