Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 00:27:16 +1100
From:      August Simonelli <deviledog@swiftdsl.com.au>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: changing configure options when using a port

On 06/01/2004, at 11:52 PM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:33:49PM +1100, August Simonelli wrote:
>
>> I'm slowly getting used to FreeBSD from a Linux background so forgive
>> the ignorant questions.
>>
>> I'm curious what the best way to add configure options are when
>> installing from a port. For example, i'd like to add --enable-rewrite
>> to apache2. Can I just put it in the Makefile in
>> /usr/ports/www/apache2
>> ? Is this generally the best way to do this?
>
> The apache2 port Makefile already comes with any number of hooks for
> enabling or disabling various configuration options -- probably too
> many in fact.
>
> In your case, to enable mod_rewrite you don't need to do anything, as
> it's already a standard part of the apache2 port, and enabled by
> default in the sample httpd-std.conf file.  To get a list of what
> modules are available and what would be included when you build the
> port, use:
>
>     # cd /usr/ports/www/apache2
>     # make show-modules
>
> However, for the sake of completelness, you can compile the port to
> include extra modules by:
>
>     # make WITH_EXTRA_MODULES=rewrite
>
> or to statically link mod_rewrite into the apache binary:
>
>     # make WITH_STATIC_MODULES=rewrite
>
> To apply these options without having to remember to type them in on
> the command line all the time, you can create a 'Makefile.inc' in the
> port directory which just contains the 'WITH_FOO=bar' variable
> assignments, or you can use portupgrade(1) and record these
> customizations in it's pkgtools.conf configuration file.

Ok, I get it. And  by having  --enable-so in the apache port's Makefile
  and using the LoadModule directive in httpd.conf i can see how many
modules are actually available from the port bt default. wow.
httpd.conf has a lot of stuff enabled ... sounds like i've got the info
i need here to understand adding additional configure options to the
building of a port. now it sounds like i'd better do some reading on
apache!

thanks everyone!

august