Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 10:51:58 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using CVS for a project on a 5.3 box

On 2005-03-18 12:45, steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net> wrote:
> I believe I will be using CVS in it's most simple sense.  Myself and
> the few other people working on my project will either SSH under their
> own accounts to the box and edit project files there, or "check them
> out" I guess and ftp them to a windows box, edit them, ftp them back
> and "commit" them after SSH'ing in again.

You can check out from a Windows box directly.  WinCVS works fine for
this purpose.  It's setup and making it use an SSH key is always a bit
confusing for me, but that's because of my little experience with
Windows software.  It can be done though...

On 2005-03-18 12:45, steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net> wrote:
>Scott Rossillo writes:
>>steve@digitalbluesky.net wrote:
>>>I've been running a FreeBSD 5.3 box at home for a couple monthes and
>>>I'm using it to host some webpages for myself and friends.  I do
>>>some php programming and I'm working on a project and for the first
>>>time I want to use CVS.
>>
>> CVS doesn't have to run as a daemon like Apache or MySQL.
>> [More stuff explaining how to use SSH to access a CVS repository]
>
> I'm reading "Open Source Development with CVS, 3rd Ed." by Bar and
> Fogel and from what I gather so far, what I just described above
> should work.

True.  But it was described "below" because your reply was top-posted.
Top-posting is annoying in many little ways, so I manually fixed it.

Good luck with CVS :-)

Oh, and another thing.  If you have more technical questions like this,
please post them on freebsd-questions.  That's the proper list.

- Giorgos