Date:      Sat, 06 Jan 2001 16:47:06 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

Quoting Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>:
[..]
> > > Although I guess you could immediately load the vinum.ko,
> > > before booting the kernel (i.e. load the kernel, load the
> > > module along with other modules like splash, then boot the kernel),
> > > but this does not help you to boot from a vinum device.
> [..]
> > > Although loader is more sophisticated, it does not know about vinum,
> >
> > I thought the same myself byt, in that case,
> > what is the purpose of the vinum_load option ?
> As I said, to load the module before booting the kernel.
> Just as the other modules. As the module is loaded into
> the _kernel_ not into 'loader' or anything you cannot use it
> until the kernel booted.

Or to put it this way: the kernel or/and modules have to be loaded from
filesystem which resides on some *device*. The current booting process, AFAIK,
doesn't know about vinum devices.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]