Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:08:57 -0800
From:      Benjamin Lee <ben@b1c1l1.com>
To:        Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserinae.net>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng for configuration management?

--Sig_/SZcs7.Upj63ClBqh_SM+Vr.

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 20:49:20 +0000, Kamil Choudhury <Kamil.Choudhury@anserin=
ae.net> wrote:
> I've been setting up a private pkgng repository to push software to a fam=
ily of about 20 different hosts.=20
>=20
> One command software deployment is pretty awesome, so I got to thinking: =
why not go one step further and start pushing configurations for each of th=
ese hosts via pkgng as well (either by putting the config files into the in=
itial software pkg, or via a separate pkg that installs only the configurat=
ions)?=20
>=20
> Has anyone else tried going down this rabbit hole? If so, what has your e=
xperience with the system been? =20

Stick to UNIX philosophy: do one thing and do it well.  Package
management and configuration management have different problem domains.
Consider, for example: do you upgrade software packages at the same rate
that you modify configuration files?

pkg(8) is a great package management tool, but it isn't (and shouldn't
be) a configuration management tool.

--=20
Benjamin Lee
http://www.b1c1l1.com/