Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 19:36:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/catman catman.perl

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I would like to see etc/{daily, weekly, monthly} do NOTHING in the future.
>
> Nada, nichts, bupkis, zilco!
nic. (with a hachek above the `c' -- it's czech :)

I'm not sure if i like your idea entirely.  Coming from a system where
everything and all has been done with different entries in root's
crontab, i like the /etc/{dai,week,month}ly approach much more.  I
agree with you that the functionality itself might be moved outside
the scripts, so it's easier to move it around (e.g. between daily and
weekly).  We should make it into another subdir of /etc (what about
/etc/admin?), and all the {dai,week,month}ly scripts set their path to
include this subdir at the beginning, so the scripts are callable
commands.  No, don't make them shell functions, separate commands have
the advantage to leave the choice of the programming language to the
implementor, and it's an open secret that Perl's the language of
choice for many administrative problems.  Our fork()/execve() overhead
is (thanks to the revamped VM system) minimal enough to not even
notice the additional processes.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/