Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 11:42:23 -0700
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@ece.uci.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   slice code

I am having problems with the new slice code that was introduced.
The problem is related to the braindammaged DOS partitioning
due to the 1024 cylinder limit.

My Quantum 1080S has 1028 cylinders in it.  Before the slice code,
I allocated the first 1024 cylinders in the partition.  However,
in the disklabel, I did not want those 4 MB to go to waste so I extended
the BSD partitions beyond that to the real drive size.  Since you only
need first BSD partition inside the 1024 cylinders this does not cause
any probs.

Now with the slice code, this no longer works.  I had to change the size
of my BSD partition to the real drive size.  Unfortunately, that no
longer fits in 1024 cylinders and it wrapps to end at cylinder #4
(I have also tried specifying the end cylinder at 1023).
Now when I boot, I get 'No Operating System' error message.  I now
have to use a BSD floppy to boot the disk.

Instead of having to change the size of the partition, the slice
code should not reject disklabel entries that are not inside any other
partitions.  So only if a disklabel entry used an area of a disk
that was covered by another slice it should be rejected.  It also
would be nice to use the real disk size in determining if an entry
went beyond the physical drive limit not the unreliable BIOS/DOS partition
info.

Steven