Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:15:58 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: git tools for building in base?

--g99HmVnPWfOMvg/t

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 09:59:15PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 2:19 PM tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> As subject - what will there be in base to interact with the new git rep=
o?
>> I mean, right now, for svn there is svnlite. What for git?
>>
>'pkg add git' is your choice now.
>
>> Shouldn't it be in base before the move to git?
>
>We will have got (from OpenBSD: Game Of Trees) in the future. It isn't
>quite there yet, however, so it's not in base.=20

Do you agree that this situation is a bad look for an *operating system* ?
Having to depend on a third-party tool to stay up-to-date and secure.

In multiple locations it is said that installing a port is *at your own=20
risk*. Personally, I'd like the official updating tool to have had the=20
same level of analysis (and so the same level of "risk") on it as the base =
OS,=20
(and also be under the same licence).

I mean, shouldn't all the basic tools be present in an OS, at least in=20
order to update it? And *then* migrate to the update method?

>When we migrated from CVS to Subversion, we didn't grow svnlite in=20
>the base for many months after the conversion.

A mistake then and a mistake now with svn to git IMO.
--=20
J.

--g99HmVnPWfOMvg/t

--g99HmVnPWfOMvg/t--