Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:44:52 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Dmitry Kolosov <onyx@z-up.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Battery charge limiting

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Dmitry Kolosov <onyx@z-up.ru> wrote:
>> I've never heard of such a theory as limiting charge to prolong battery
>> life, not with Lithium Ion batteries anyway; nor have I ever seen any
>> such as a BIOS option. =A0'Common' on which brand/s of notebooks?
>>
>> Can you provide any links to articles discussing this?
>
> http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-104440.html
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/34452/how-can-i-limit-charging-capacity-to=
-
> extend-a-batterys-lifespan
>
> Lenovo provides such programs with their new products. A program can hold=
> battery at 70-80%% while it not used.
>
>> I don't think control over a notebook's charging is possible in FreeBSD;
>> this is usually managed by an Embedded Controller and ACPI merely passes
>> on the the states reported by that and by the battery itself.
>
> May be modern EC provides some controlling methods or so?

Actually, my old IBM ThinkPad started providing this advice after I
updated the power
management. The issue is with batteries kept at 100% charge for long
periods fail
more quickly. The power management software stops the charging when it reac=
hes
80% of capacity, if you choose to set it that way.

This is under the control of the power management software though I assume =
that
the EC had to have the capabilityto stop the charging.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com