Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:34:50 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam block

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

In the last episode (Oct 13), Greg Lehey said:
> On Tuesday, 13 October 1998 at 11:46:25 +1100, Joe Shevland wrote:
> > After reading a recent thread in -hackers I've become interested in
> > blocking mail from certain servers/ISPs/users (Juno looks to be
> > first on the list, I think followed by Hotmail to spite). Now to do
> > this I'll need to set up my mail server first :)
> >
> > Where's a starting point to read about the various Spam blockers?
>
> The best thing to do is to install sendmail 8.9.1, which comes with
> builtin spam blocking.  The documentation is a bit disorganized, but
> it's all there.  8.9.1 is the current version of the port, so you can
> just download it from the ftp site and build it.

I use a procmail script to block most of my spam though.  Sendmail
8.9.1 plus the RBL feature is good for blocking persistant spammers,
but one-time spam coming from small ISPs or relayed through
misconfigured company mail servers is hard to block with sendmail.
Here's a copy of my procmail rule, which bounces an error back to the
sender and dumps the email in my "spam" folder.  I check it every few
days, just in case a legitimate user from yahoo/msn/hotmail etc, tried
to send me something.

It's only happened three times so far, in the year or so I've had the
filter :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

:0
*	(^To: \
		(friend@\
		|secret@\
		|you@\
		|your@\
		|foryou@\
		|people@\
		|.*juno.com\
		)\
		([0-9]+@\
		|friend@\
		|success@\
		|.*[@.]onestopshop.net$\
		|.*[@.]dship.com$\
		|.*[@.]hotmail.com$\
		|.*[@.]mailcity.com$\
		|.*[@.]aol.com$\
		|.*[@.]yahoo.com$\
		|.*[@.]msn.com$\
		|.*[@.]iname.com$\
		|.*[@.]to$\
		|.*[@.]egroups.com$\
		)\
		|<"">\
		|< >\
		|<>\
		|smile\
		|.*from --- unknown host ---\
		|.*cyberpromo\
		|SMI-8.6\
		)\
	|^Subject: \
		(Bulk Email\
		|earn\
		|URGENT BUY RECOMMENDATION\
		)\
	|^Comments: Authenticated sender is \
	)
{
	EXITCODE=77
	VERBOSE=on
	EXITREASON="

I'm sorry, but I'm just fed up with having to bounce junk email.  Your email
had some characteristic that marked it as such.  If you really want to
contact me, email me from a different account or domainname.  If you can't,
just wait a while.  I check my 'spam' folder every couple days, and will
reply to you whan I have read your message.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com

"
	:0: