Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 08:27:15 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Alex Helbig <alex@muse.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACER 10/100 Ethernet Card in 2.2.7-RELEASE

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Alex Helbig wrote:

> I am having some hassles with the above mentioned card.  This card uses a
> digital 21140-AF chip which 2.2.7 recognises as de0.  The card is 10/100
> autosensing.

{....}

> Since the upgrade I have installed and everything is working correctly,
> except that roughly every two seconds I get a message on the console saying:
> 	de0: link down: cable problem?
>
> But it all works!  Any ideas why the error message?
>
> Points to note:
> 	* I am running up the box on a 10Mb segment not the 100Mb where it will
> eventually be.
> 	  But the 3com card was quite happy yo move back and forth between speeds.
> 	* I never tried the DEC based card under 2.2.6 to know if the problem
> existed there too.
> 	* I have tried using ifconfig to set each of the LINK0-2 flags and no
> setting of this
>          seems to make any difference.

The de driver requires use of the ifconfig "media" and "mediaopt" options
rather than the "link[0-2]" flag(s).  The de manpage describes the
available settings.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia