Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 01:01:45 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, lsp3@gte.net, wyrdwulf@catskill.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

At 2:24 -0500 5/18/01, Mike Meyer wrote:
>Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com> types:
>>  Though nowhere near as easy to use as Digital cameras.  You still need
>>  to send the film off to be developed and then you'd better have a good
>>  scanner if you want the resulting images to look any good.  I wouldn't
>>  even bother with that approach - whenever we get my girlfriend's
>>  pictures back (she's hopelessly wedded to the analog), we just get it
>>  on PhotoCD as well.
>
>That's the ticket. For ease of use, a digital camera is unbeatable -
>assuming it's supported. Take the camera home, transfer the pictures,
>and you're done. For quality, using a film camera and getting it
>scanned to Photo CD from the negative gets you excellent resolution,
>and skips the step of going to paper first, and all the extra noise
>that can entail.
>
>	<mike

The problem with the scan to photo CD is the average 18%gray they use
for the exposure.  If your pictures are at all unusual lighting, they
don't come out well unless you pay a bundle to have them hand
reviewed.  I got too frustrated with the results from that and got a
Nikon Cool Scan III film scanner and do my own now.  The results are
much better.
--
-- Doug