Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:06:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ${PREFIX}/etc/defaults?

David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> types:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 08:10:14AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > In contemplating building another port with a config file, I have to
> > wonder why ports don't use the same mechanism as the base system?
> > I.e. - why do I have /usr/opt/etc/healthd.conf.sample instead of
> > /usr/opt/etc/defaults/healthd.conf,
> Because binaries aren't flexable enough.
> Remember that everything in /etc/defaults is used by shell scripts.  So
> it is trival to test for existance and source.

I didn't say so explicitly, but the idea isn't to force binaries to
duplicate that behavior, it's to provide a standard place to put
sample/default config files, etc.  Shell scripts could duplicate the
behavior of /etc/defaults because it *is* trivial. Binaries would
either document the defaults while providing an example of the config
file, so that like /etc/defaults, all you needed to list in the
${PREFIX}/etc file are the changes; or they would provide a sample
file, and start with the instructions "Copy this file to ${PREFIX}/etc
and edit ....".

	Thanx,
	<mike