Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:23:37 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Brent Bailey <misterb@bmyster.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP  help

Hello!

> Im running a few FBSD systems doing a number of things from webhosting
> mail etc....most of the machines are  Duel P3 450 w/ 512 MB ram (kinda old
> butohwell)
> My question is this....I have done a full system update of a FBSD system
> on a older system 4.1 FBSD..however im getting ready to update my servers
> (currently running 4.5 release) to the either 5.0 release  or 4.7 stable.
> Which of these should i go to ? (personally id like to run the 5.0 seeing
> its suppose to have better SMP support... is this true ??)

It is my understanding that SMPng is still not quite polished and given
that many parts of 5.0-RELEASE still contain a lot of debugging code I
doubt that you would see any performance gain. I am not a developer of
course, so have a grain of salt with that.

Anyhow, I in your shoes would read the Early Adopter's Guide from
FreeBSD website, and then think deeply about it. Unless there is
something in 5.0 that you *absolutely* can't live without, I would stay
to 4.7 for now.

> Anywho ...the process of doing a cvsup ...has it changed or are there
> better methods that the guys at FBSD would recommend ?

I personally wasn't even around when 4.1 was released, but since 4.3
there haven't been much changes. Maybe in the times of 4.1 they still
used the "make world" target instead of "make buildworld" + "make
installworld" as is done now... Anyway, all the details are in the
Handbook, chapter 21. Have fun :-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Top Secret! Burn before reading!