Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 11:25:09 -0400
From:      "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@i33.com>
To:        Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk Biff [2.2.1-stable]

On 13 June 1997, Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu> wrote:

> Well, you don't have to mount FIXIT, but use the fixit menu from the
> installation menu.  After it you have to switch floppies, and go!

I tried that and it told me that it couldn;t mount the fixit disk.
Meanwhile, I managed to do a FreeBSD install on an IDE drive on another
box, hook my scsi host adapter to that box and pull the critical stuff
from the hosed disk (i.e. the mail files).  Looks like the magic number
and superblock info on like half the partitions were hosed (and so fscking
those partitions nuked everything on em -- luckily my mail partitionw as
not one of them).  Praise be to "fsck -b 32".  Gonna RMA the disk today
and use the IDE drive as a temporary replacement.

As a side question, what have people's experiences been with the
Baraccudas vs. things liek the Quantum Atlases. I've now had to replace
probably 4 'cudas in the last year or so (the first 1 or two I think died
of heat problems -- the cause of death for the others is still unknown).
I'm wondering if I should just switch to the Quantums -- the 'cudas seem
really really sensitive.

	-Amir

--
Amir Y. Rosenblatt					(212) 448-0333