Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:41:31 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to fetch files from GitHub?

On Jul 26, 2012, at 16:42, "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>=20
> I've created a port of bittorrent-libutp -- a piece of software, that has n=
ot been officially "released" yet. It is in use by a number of other project=
s (like net-p2p/transmission/). The not-yet-committed port can be found at:
>=20
>   http://aldan.algebra.com/~mi/port-stuff/libutp.shar
>=20
> The vendor's code is hosted on GitHub, which allows downloading the entire=
 directory as a single tarball. However, to download sources as of particula=
r date/time, one has to use a hash of the version one cares for.
>=20
> For example, the current version's tag is d4685a3. If you attempt to downl=
oad the tar.gz from the https://github.com/bittorrent/libutp/downloads, you w=
ill get a file named: bittorrent-libutp-d4685a3.tar.gz.
>=20
> Setting MASTER_SITES to https://github.com/bittorrent/libutp/tarball/d4685=
a3/ works, but the download is a redirect...
>=20
> The port builds fine, but has two nasty problems:
>=20
> 1. The DISTVERSION being simply the first 7 characters of some hash will n=
ot be
>   sequential -- the next release of the sources may have a hash, that will=

>   sort below the current one, necessitating an ugly PORT_EPOCH bump. The
>   PORTVERSION ends up being "d4685.a3", which is not at all useful, but
>   forcing one's own PORTVERSION (something like 0.20120726) is not allowed=
> 2. Fetching the code requires forceful removal of the -A option from fetch=
(1)'s
>   arguments.
>=20
> Would anyone care to play with the port as posted and offer suggestions on=
 how to best resolve the two problems (other than hosting the tarball on my o=
wn)?

Check out ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel for an example.

It uses a known hash, but you can use tags as well. You'll need to override =
FETCH_ARGS as seen there too.

>=20
> Thanks! Yours,
>=20